Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Eagle Building Soars

Atop a 19th Century building, a sign of mid-20th Century technology next to early-21st Century.

Time marches on. 



I can't readily locate any information on the origin of The Eagles Building, except that I can only assume it was originally built as an aerie for the Faternal Order of Eagles. It was completed in 1900.

Current tenants include Elgin Books (a great used book store with an amazing variety of reading material and with equally great coffee), and Medusa's, a DJ-driven dance club that draws a crowd from almost everywhere around Chicagoland (although not quite my speed). The streetscape gets just a tad bit interesting really late on Friday and Saturday nights.


Although I don't personally recall the place, I've heard of others talk fondly of the House of Jean Chinese Restaurant that was in the building.  I imagine it was a pretty exotic place for Elgin back in the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment